Audiobooks are an exploding area of book sales.
Especially for the indie market.
Are you a self-published author considering making your published print or ebook into an audiobook?
You’ve come to the right place.
As a trained vocal professional, with over 20 years experience in the entertainment industry, AJ provides a seamless full production service from narration to mastering, including uploading your audiobook to 46 major sites, such as Audible, Spotify, Google and Apple.
AJ works from a home studio with professional equipment and software, producing a warm, quality listening experience for readers. The service is limited to female narration at present, but we are looking at adding a male narrator in the near future.
AJ will keep you updated every step of the way, from ensuring you and your book are a good fit for her voice and style, to helping you set up a Findaway Voices account for you to distribute your audiobook.
Voice over sample: Children’s book Where’s Pa by Sally Hetherington.
Music: CJ Collins. Video: SBPRA Publishing.
To be considered for an audiobook
AJ is discerning about which audio projects she accepts.
- You book must already be published on a recognised platform (such as Amazon).
- Your book must have been professionally edited and proofread.
- You must hold the copyright to your book.
What does it cost?
You might be surprised to know that each hour of an audiobook takes several hours to produce. The industry standard ranges from 7 – 10 hours of production time for each hour of finished audio, depending on the complexity of the work. AJ works in the middle range of approximately 8 hours.
A book of 50,000 words would equate to 5.38 finished hours equating to approximately AUD$3000.
To work out how many finished hours your manuscript is use this formula: 9,300 words = 1 hour of finished audio
AJ’s current rate is AUD$560 per finished hour (PFH), plus a nominal admin fee if you need assistance opening a Findaway account to distribute your book.
How does it work?
- Apply for a quote and provide a full synopsis of your story with a link to your published book.
- If AJ thinks your book is a good match, she will send you detailed information on how the process works.
- You pay 50% deposit to secure your booking.
- AJ will provide you with an audio sample to ensure you are happy with the quality, the tone of the work, character voices (if applicable) and pronunciation of names.
- Project then goes ahead in full.
- AJ will create an author account on Findaway Voices (distributor) for you and load your audio files as they are become available. Or you can do this yourself if you feel competent.
- You listen to the recordings and report any issues to AJ.
- When recording is complete, you pay balance of fee, and AJ will release the last audio file for distribution.
- You hit the publish button on Findaway Voices.
- You start collecting royalties. Yay!